Monday 1 June 2015

Catching up

I have so much to share but haven't done a blog post in a while. It may all go in 2 posts.
The first is a quilt made in solids.
I belong to a small online quilting group. We had a Charm swap of solid fabric.
I mused for ages about what to do with them, but finally decided on the pattern Trellis Crossroads from the Modern Bee book by Lindsay Conner. I used all of my 100 + charms plus quite a lot of fabric from  my stash. The background was grey to tone down the explosion of colour a little.
There were no borders on the original quilt, but I added 3 as I love the framing a border gives. Also it meant that every scrap of my charms was used.



The label photo gives a better view of a block.
I quilted it with uneven vertical lines. This suited the modern look for the quilt really well, and I am very happy with how it looks.

While making this quilt I showed a friend the border by messaging. Her response was "Enough of the donkey"    To my donkey ???  she replied  Grey. She is not a grey fan.
This statement Enough of the Donkey stayed in mind overnight, so in the morning I did a Google search.  The result was Giddap the Democratic Donkey. The 1931 pattern from the Kansas Star newspaper was made with templates.  I used more modern techniques, but I decided to keep it using squares of fabric rather than larger blocks that we tend to now.  I chose to make it from 2 inch squares and to make it a mini wall quilt.  Of course he had to be grey, the same fabric she told me I had used enough already.

I forgot to take a photo of Giddap so this is one after he arrived this new home where he happily lives on the sewing room wall


No comments:

Post a Comment