Monday 11 January 2016

Catching Up


I haven't written a blog entry since we went on a 7 week overseas holiday. I was planning to show some holiday photos, but I will go ahead and do a quilting catch up to move things along.

I finished 2 quick projects in the 2 weeks before we left. The first one was a gift for a friend for boarding and showing one of my dogs while we were away.  As the recipient was previously a teacher, and their house is decorated in neutral colours, I chose to use Elementary by Sweetwater. I used a Layer cake for the blocks. The pattern is Starstruck by Leila Boutique.
I named my version Latte on The Beach.
The second quick project was to be a gift for a member of our Facebook Quilting group, who Lives in Cornwall and I had arranged to visit. 
I wanted a New Zealand flavor to it so I foundation paper pieced a Kiwi using  a Tartankiwi pattern. I made the original 10 inch size. I surrounded the kiwi by pinwheels in Loretta's favourite colours. The backing and binding is the same Paua (abalone) fabric I used for the Kiwi. 
 
 

On arriving home it only took a couple of days to be back at the sewing machine. The first finish was  using a Daydream (Kate Spain) jelly Roll. Pattetn is Kaleidoscope,  again by Leila Boutique. This was a quick, fun project. A perfect project to get back into the swing of quilting.
 

 The second finish was a UFO from last year. I decided to finish it for one of our sons. He had admired it when it was a finished top on the wall. I had been calling it The Ugly Quilt. It needed a new name so it back me Chrysalis. The fabric is Fortiny by Tina Givens. The design is by Amy Gibson. 

Next was another UFO from last year. I had participated in my first Aussie Charm Swap. The charms were all from Amy Butler. I chose to assemble them in a simple on point setting. I backed it with a gorgeous Amy Butler print

Next is a Christmas Table runner which was for or quilting group swap. I chose to use a winter colour scheme- using Edyta Stars Snowbird fabric. I chose 3 star blocks from the Fat Quarter Shop 2014  mystery quilt, and added a couple of borders. 
 

I decided to add a second quick runner-a fun Father Christmas . Pattern by Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts
 
 

I decided to do the Fat Quarter Shop Charity Quilt- Snapshots. I bought the kit which used Daysail fabric by Bonnie and Camille. 
I didn't actually start the quilt until late November, so it was done in a few days.  Once the last block was posted in December I could do a quick finish. This was my last quilt finish for 2015. Number 19. 

One last quick thing for the year. While going through the new blog entries just before Christmas I found a Poinsettia block. It is by Kelly from My Quilt Infatuation I immediately decided to make it up for a member of our quilting group, whose husband was undergoing health problems

That's it for 2015.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment