Friday, 25 March 2016

Scrapbasket One Plus One

 This month Upstairs Hobby Rooms One Block Wonder   is called One Plus One.
My 2 1/2 inch strip bin is overflowing, so I used the opportunity to use that for my blocks,
 Somehow, I  kept making more and more blocks, so ended up with enough to make a quilt.

Borders were necessary to take it to a good size, so I decided to use more scrap strips to make a piano key border. Once I laid it out I didnt like it. I found it too busy. It stayed on the floor for a day or so, and I found the piano keys  had grown on me.  I added in the black stop border, I really liked how it joined the quilt and the border. The black was repeated for the binding.

This was quilted using Aurifil 2021 and an often used all-over design,  Loopy Clams by Lyn Durbin
I dont know how,  but my 2 1/2 inch strip bin doesnt to have any less fabric in it.  I will just have to keep looking  for opportunities to use them.

I am linking up to Sandy's Linky Party At Upstairs Hobby Room. I  looking forward to seeing what others have done this month.
This is quilt No 6 for this year.

Thursday, 10 March 2016

One Block Wonder Revisited

I made a small table topper last month using the Upstairs Hobby Room X's and O's tutorial.It looks lovely on my table.   See it  here
When I saw the other blocks on the linky, I noticed they were mostly in pink or coral tones. Two days ago I rashly decided to do another project in a different colorway. Once I had decided to do a cot size, I did a little research in nursery trends.  Grey always seemed to feature-teamed with pink, blue, yellow or teal.I chose the teal with grey.  I realised later they are the Air NewZealand colours, and the colours of my High School uniform,  so are a not unfamiliar combination.     I chose to to use the same 4 fabrics to see how the blocks  play together when repeated.

I found that there were 2 options for the layout. One had the teal as the main colour
And the other the grey
I liked the more subtle grey best so went with that.
The next decision was borders. I knew I wanted borders but my preferred fabrics had insufficient left. I had to go with what I had.

I quilted this with organic irregular  straight lines, which I thought suited the modern look of the blocks.
Size- 46 inches square.

I am really happy with how this turned out, and am so pleased I had another go at this block.

I am linking to the Upstairs Hobby Room Linky party.

This is my 5th finished quilt for 2016.

Monday, 7 March 2016

Midnight Mystery Finish

I joined in the Mystery Quilt Along with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs. She called it Midnight Mystery.
The monthly instructions were quick and easy and left me waiting for each months installment.
I chose a masculine colour scheme as I had none amongst my finished quilts. That

proved a good decision as our oldest son suddenly had a need for a new one this week.

I really struggled to decide on the quilting, and it sat basted for several weeks awaiting a decision.  When the recipient was decided, my plans for quilting became clear. He needed one which would withstand a lot of washing but was still soft and snuggly. A large stipple was therefore chosen, and quickly completed.
I hope the new owner like's it as much as I enjoyed making it.